Friday, June 1, 2012

TGIF - Song Smash Up

I am in love with music.  I guess it makes sense, after all - I've played piano since I was 5 - for over 20 years (holy cow am I that old?!?) *sigh*

I can lose myself in music, whether I'm at my piano or I'm in my car with my mp3 CD's (and awesome stereo system! hey, ANY system is awesome compared to an old Dodge Neon with one blown speaker...  DONT MOCK THE NEON!)

Not many people know - I studied to be a music therapist for 2 years (and please don't ask - I have NO CLUE what a f*cking music therapist does... even after studying it for 2 years... hence the switch and almost degree in math!)

There is nothing more cathartic to me than losing yourself in a song like Goo Goo Dolls' Iris when you're blue; like rocking out to Nelly's Country Grammar while cruising to the beach in the summer, windows down and sunroof open (no sunroof in The Neon - you just manually rolled the windows down after stretching your entire body across to the passenger side while traveling at high speeds.  It wasn't THAT dangerous...)

While I have some CLASSIC favorite songs that will never lose their status with me (Friends in Low Places anyone??) I tend to follow fads too - I listen to a recently released song so much that I get sick of it, and put it away for awhile (Rolling in the Deep by Adele??)

My most recent obsession is We Are Young and I can't even name who sings it (yes I'm too lazy to go look it up too...)
But I'm sure you know the song if you've seen the BAD-ASS commercial where the new Chevy Sonic SKY DIVES, and BUNGEE JUMPS. (a car.  Bunjee jumps.  A CAR. is more badass than I am...)

I'm trying to watch myself and not put that song on my "Retired favorites" list...


ANYWAYS - point of this post.  I've heard a number of songs recently, really listened to the words, and felt like I could compose my own soundtrack.

Time for my first Song Smash Up.  For where I am right now in my life, I've compiled lyrics (plus some original ones!) from some of my favorite songs that I'd put on my "Spring 2012" soundtrack.  (I've noted the artist, song title in places where they're not original - anything not italic...)

The World Will Change
I don't quite know
how to say
how I feel                                                                                Snow Patrol  -  Chasing Cars
I'm gasping from grief
And I'm clutching at emptiness

And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life
And sooner or later it's over
I just don't wanna miss you tonight                                            Goo Goo Dolls - Iris

How we got into this mess, is it God’s test?
Someone help us ‘cause we’re doing our best…
Trying to make things work, but man,
These times are hard                                                                                  The Script - For the First Time


We had to say goodbye way too early

Why should anyone have to feel this?

I'm falling apart, I'm barely breathing
With a broken heart that's still beating                                                LifeHouse - Broken

Though you never leave our minds,
We never got to know you.
We pray and hope you felt our love.

I still see your reflection, inside of my eyes
That are looking for a purpose, they're still looking for life.       
LifeHouse - Broken

We had you so briefly, but
We will never forget you, as long as we live.

Even though going on with you gone still upsets me
There are days every now and again I pretend I’m ok                  Rascal Flatts -
What Hurts the Most


Life isn’t fair,
Not everything comes so easy.
You were worth it all,
And we won’t give up now.

Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances, but they're worth taking.   LeeAnn Womack - I Hope You Dance

We’re starting to believe
In the rainbow after the rain.
You were made by a dash of magic,
A cup of love and some hard work.

The dawn is breaking
A light shining through                                                                               Howie Day - Collide



You have come and gone, but
Our lives will never be the same.
Even as we move forward,

We keep waiting,
Waiting on the world to change.               
                                           
                                                                                            John Mayer - Waiting on the World to Change

1 comment:

  1. I love the songs :) It reminds me of a few I need to add to my playlist! I hope you have a great weekend and ENJOY YOUR MASSAGE! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete