Tuesday, April 19, 2016

STILL cringing...

(SpringCleaningPost)

this story was from June of 2014, and I am STILL cringing as I write it...
(hence why it was post-worthy...)


So it was the day of my best friend Dee's baby shower... had my hair all blow-dried and curled, feeling fierce in a new racer back dress and strappy heels.  I had also helped plan the baby shower, and had been asked to photograph it - so I was piling game props and prizes into bags as well as double checking my camera bag for batteries (for my external flash) and back-up memory cards...

Our "tradition" for all these showers was usually: our friends The Potato Heads (Mr PH met E in college, and we welcomed his wife into our friend circle when they started date a few years ago - they've been married for maybe 2 years...) would come over first (they live far away).  Also E's friend and his girlfriend would come over to our house as well, and then the girls would carpool to the shower while the guys drank beer/ordered chinese food/grilled out/watched a hockey game.

So The Potato Heads arrive, and if you'll remember, are in the midst (at the time) of trying to baby-make. (It was actually the beginning of a journey that has been fraught with road blocks, and drinking, and -well - that's a whole 'nother story...))

MrsPH had also had some gastro-intestinal issues over the recent year or so, causing her to put on some weight (most noticeably in the belly!)

SO - we're standing chatting, MrPH askes me something like, "When's Button's birthday again?"
I answered, July.

And he looked at his wife, all goofy-grinning and is like, "isn't that close to your..."

And in my head - I'm all I know you guys are intentionally having unprotected sex!! and so I assume that he's starting to reference a DUE DATE... 
(you know what happens when you ASSUME...I certainly made an ass of myself... you'll see...))

And because I'm the last person to bug or pester people that are in that sensitive trying time (hello!!) I tried to make like, QUADRUPLE SURE, looking at MrPH (who is still GRINNING all excitedly) and asking, "wait - what? REALLY? like, REALLY?!" I basically all but said, "YOU'RE PREGNANT?!"  ((and he's nodding and smiling and grinning like an idiot...))


So then...

you guys, I got all excited and rubbed her belly...



two years later, and I'm still mortified that I did that... because, well - she WASN'T pregnant, and MrPH was like, "oh! oooh nooo, no sorry for the confusion..."

(And I'm all, no I'm sorry!! and tried to quickly change the subject to something non-baby related, which was a little hard as we were going to Dee's BABY SHOWER.)




Like I said - I know better, I know not to pester the couple who has been married (for any amount of time, but especially in the beginning!) or pepper them with The Questions ("any kids yet?" or "hey when are you guys going to start having some babies?!")

And I like to think I'm sensitive enough to not assume things and realize that people could be having a hard time of things, etc.



But... I still RUBBED HER BELLY...



E (and my other friends - and everyone else that has heard the story since) was aghast at my horrible faux pas...

but I don't think anyone still thinks about it like I do - almost every time I see them....

OIY.

No comments:

Post a Comment