Sunday, August 18, 2013

The O Word...

There's two O words we're touching on this post... the first, I was going to go with "F" word: formula.  But didn't want to make it sound like I think negatively or judge formula-fed, or anything like that.  Simply, I'm breastfeeding,  it's working well - and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My in-laws seem to think it's shattered...
Every.  Single.  Time they are here (or we are there) and Ben cries, all I hear is "He's hungry!"
Even when I say, "he literally came off the boob seconds before you walked in the door..."
And they love to suggest supplementing him with "just a few ounces of formula to hold him over between feedings!" 1 - Like I'd let him actually go hungry, and 2 - SERIOUSLY, I'm just getting sick of it...
So I'm going with an O word I'd like to never hear again, and that's their Opinions.... Non-stop about how I should be feeding Ben, making sure he's full, etc.
(Can I stop to point out that E's older sister was so overfed when she was a (merely coincidentally formula-fed) baby that their pediatrician told them at her 4 month check up, put her on a diet?!)

It makes me nervous to leave Ben with Grandma for the night when I am in my friend Dee's wedding next month... I hate to not give them any credit, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear afterwards that he was fussing (hello, he's a baby - and BABIES CRY) and that, oops - the breast milk you left just wasn't enough so we went out and bought him some formula!

 But it's not just E's parents, it's nearly his whole family I'm hearing it from... Again, I had earlier today just tucked my Lanolin-covered nipple back into the nursing-pad-lined bra moments before his aunt came in the door to visit, and within minutes he fussed a little and all I heard was, "He must be hungry!"

And that I am going to "have to eventually supplement with formula because in a few months, he won't be getting enough breast milk!"

Oh have I learned how to just nod and smile, bleeding tongue and all, and say "I'll mention it to his pediatrician at the next visit, thanks!"


The other O word... My baby IS ONE MONTH OLD, how the HELL did that happen?!

He rolled over again (twice!) today...

He learned the required Jersey selfie "duck face"...

He enjoyed ok, tolerated baths, but enjoyed the post-bath towel-wrap-up with Daddy...

I have to keep an eye on those two, especially when they're supposed to be Tummy-Timin' it... Daddy loves to just cuddle:

But I successfully executed the one-month photoshoot (minus a quick tear or two:

...and with some quick hands and posing from Daddy - some size reference for Little Peanut:

All the time, I watch him when he nurses, and I still can't believe that he's really here...
One month...

No comments:

Post a Comment